Thursday, March 18, 2010

Important Things I Have Learned From My Son (Part One)

I may be a few things, and those things may fluctuate and change according to my interests. But first and foremost, and always and forever, I am a mom. I do not take this title lightly. With a position such as this, I not only get the blessing and honor to teach but surprisingly on a daily basis, I also get the gift of learning. I have learned more from being a mom than all of my classes of higher education and my years of living combined. I would like to take this opportunity to share a few of the bits of knowledge my son has bestowed upon me so far.

1. There is no such thing as too much patience, hugs, kisses, or goldfish crackers.
2. Silly putty does not come off of remote controls, out of hair, out of carpets, or off of furniture.... EVER.
3. "But MAAAHHHMA, little boys are suppose to get dirty!"
4. You will never be able to shame someone in to good behavior. Rewards work better than punishment. Not bribes, rewards. Get me?
5. You will never cease to be amazed when your son learns new things, even if it is something gross like picking his nose, or something WONDERFUL like learning how to read (which my genius four year old son is doing right now) or writing his name for the first time.
6. Always ask what a painting is before you assume it is the pretty little birdie you suspect. Almost always you will be wrong. That pretty birdie is in fact a man eating ice cream cone and how dare I assume otherwise.
7. The favorite stuffed dog, Rufus, is in fact a girl. Duh.
8. Learn to think before you say no. Sometimes the idea seems like a catastrophe at first, but it might just be the funnest thing you have ever done. (Exception being a slip-n-slide at age 27 and overweight.)
9. Pick your battles. Let the little things go. Who cares if he wants to eat his mac and cheese with his fingers. Little boys are washable.
10. Enjoy the ride. The downs can be just as educational and eye opening as the ups are fun.

more to come

No comments:

Post a Comment